Finding Your Way After A Storm
Cleaning up after a storm can be more dangerous than the storm itself. Hazards such as live electrical wires, broken glass and fumes from leaking pipes are common, meaning protective gear and safety measures may be required.
For over twenty years, SERVPRO of Franklin, Vance & Granville Counties has been helping customers in Henderson, Oxford, Louisburg and the surrounding communities manage the risks and aftermath of devastating storms.
To help guide you, here are some tips if you've experienced damage from a storm:
1) Only return to the site once local authorities say it is safe to do so, remembering to bring identification to enter a secured disaster area.
2) Take personal protective equipment, including hard hats, heavy work gloves, dust masks, eye protection, and steel-toed safety boots. Bring additional supplies, such as flashlights with spare batteries, cameras, potable water, etc.
3) Do not switch on electrical power or begin clean-up until authorities and/or your local utilities service providers have checked your utilities and evaluated all risks. Flooding may cause toxic spills; while live electrical lines may energize flood waters and create an electrocution risk. Damaged areas of a building should be reviewed by a structural engineer.
4) Conduct a site assessment with qualified personnel, such as a SERVPRO Project Manager, to help assess where help is needed. SERVPRO will check for hazards such as broken glass, sharp metal and fumes from leaking pipes. Take care to check inside and outside the building, as well as around you and overhead. SERVPRO will take photos to document damage and conditions. SERVPRO will also help you with your insurance claim and will mitigate on your behalf.
5) Retrieve your insurance policies from your secure location, and call your property insurance representative to begin the claims process. It is important to maintain contact with your agent/adjuster throughout the event. Working with you and your insurance company, SERVPRO will establish repair priorities, based on level of danger the damage poses.
We work alongside you to get you back into your home/business safely and as quickly as possible!